1. Open the search bar. Depending on which operating system you are using, the location of the search bar may vary. If you are using Windows 8 or higher, the search bar is located next to the Start button in the bottom left corner of your screen. For Windows XP, Vista and 7, the search bar is located in the Start menu and can be opened by clicking on the Start button, then clicking in the search box. For Mac OS X, open Finder and type the file name into the search field at the top right of the window.
2. Begin typing in the file name you want to find. As you type, a list of possible matches will appear underneath the search bar that may contain the file you are looking for. If your file is listed, click on it to open it.
3. Use keywords to narrow your search. Using keywords such as the file type (e.g. “pdf”), author, or any other key words associated with the file you are searching for can help you find the file faster. To add keywords to your search, click on the magnifying glass icon on the right side of the search bar and type in your specific search terms.
4. If the file is not listed in the search results, click on the arrow next to the search bar to open the Advanced Search panel. Here you can enter additional parameters such as the file size, date modified, and other details related to the file. Entering multiple criteria will make it more likely to retrieve the file you seek.
5. Once you have entered all your search criteria, click the magnifying glass icon to execute the search. If the file still does not appear, you may need to use additional programs to find your file. Using a third-party program such as Wise Data Recovery can help you locate lost files on your computer.
6. In addition to search functions, you can also find a file by navigating through your file structure. All of your files are stored in folders and subfolders. You can use the File Explorer program in Windows or the Finder program in Mac OS X to manually locate your file within the folder hierarchy. By knowing the name of the file, you can simply scroll through each folder until you find the file you are looking for.