Changing the default application for opening a specific file type will depend on the operating system you are using. Below are instructions for Mac OS, iOS, and Windows operating systems.
When you double-click a file on your Mac, it will open with an application assigned to that type of file. If you would like to change the default application used to open the file type, follow these steps:
1. Right-click (or Control+Click) on the desired file.
2. Select the “Get Info” option from the context menu that appears.
3. In the window that appears, you will see “Open with” and a list of applications available to open the file type.
4. Select the application you’d like to use as the default.
5. At the bottom of the window, check the box next to “Change All”.
6. Confirm the action by clicking “Continue”.
7. Close the window when finished.
To change the application used to open a particular file type in iOS, do the following:
1. Tap on the Settings app.
2. Select General.
3. Scroll down and select Default Apps.
4. Select the file type you want to change.
5. Select the application you want to be the default.
You can change the default application for a file type in Windows by following these steps:
1. Open File Explorer by pressing the Windows + E keys.
2. In the top bar, click the View tab.
3. Make sure the box next to File name extensions is checked.
4. Find the file type you would like to change the default application for and right-click it.
5. Select the “Open with” option in the context menu that appears.
6. Select the desired application from the list that pops up.
7. Check the box next to “Always use this app to open .[Filename Extension] files”.
8. Click the OK button.