1. Open Windows Explorer. This can be done by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard and typing “explorer”. Alternatively, you can click on the Start Menu and then select Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer from the drop-down menu.
2. Locate and open the folder that contains the file type you want to change the default program for.
3. Right-click on the file type (for example, a .doc file) and select Properties from the pop-up menu.
4. In the General tab of the Properties dialog box, click the Change button next to Opens with:.
5. The Open With dialog box should open up. Here, you can choose the program you want to use to open the file type. If it is not listed, click the Browse button and locate the program you wish to use.
6. Once you have selected the program you want to use, you can either click OK to make this selection the default for all similar file types, or you can choose the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file option if available, and then click OK.
7. Click OK in the Properties dialog box to confirm the changes.
8. You may be prompted to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.