If you are having trouble installing your scanner driver on your computer, there are a few steps you can take to try to get the driver installed properly.
1. Check the scanner manufacturer’s website for a compatible driver to download and install – Many manufacturers have drivers available for download on their websites. Make sure you locate the correct driver for your exact scanner model before downloading it. Additionally, check that the driver is compatible with the version of Windows installed on your computer.
2. Update the operating system installed on your computer – If the version of Windows installed on your computer is outdated, it’s possible that the scanner driver isn’t compatible with the version of Windows you’re currently running. To fix this, make sure your Windows version is up to date by clicking Start > Settings > Update & Security > Check for Updates.
3. Uninstall any existing scanner drivers and reinstall the driver – It’s possible that some existing drivers on your computer may be causing conflicts with the new driver. To resolve this issue, completely uninstall any existing drivers related to your scanner from Device Manager (click Start > Type “Device Manager” > Expand the “Imaging Devices” tab and select the existing driver > Right-Click & Select “Uninstall”). Then, restart your computer and attempt to install the new driver once again.
4. Restart the PC in Safe Mode and reinstall the driver – If you’re still having problems installing the driver, restarting your computer in Safe Mode may provide a solution. To do this, turn off your computer and press the power button to turn it back on. As soon as the manufacturer’s logo appears, press the F8 or F11 key on the keyboard repeatedly to enter Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode, uninstall any existing scanner drivers and then attempt to install the driver once again.
5. Use an automatic driver updater tool to install the driver – If the manual methods above haven’t worked, it might be worthwhile to use a third-party driver updater tool such as DriverDoc or Driver Booster. These tools are designed to scan your computer for outdated device drivers and automatically download and install the latest versions of them. Before using these tools, make sure that they’ve been updated to include the latest scanner drivers and that they support the version of Windows you’re running.
If none of these steps have solved the installation issue, you should contact the manufacturer of your scanner for further assistance.