1. Open the Control Panel. To do this, click on the Windows Start button and select “Control Panel” from the list of options that appears.
2. Click on the “Hardware and Sound” option.
3. In the drop-down list that appears, select “Mouse”.
4. You will now have access to the mouse settings where you can customize the way your mouse works.
5. The default setting will be the “General” tab. On this tab, you can set the double-click speed, set how many lines are scrolled for each wheel movement, and enable or disable pointer trails.
6. If you move your mouse cursor over each option, a tooltip will appear, providing you with more information about the option and its purpose. When you are done adjusting the general settings, you can click the “Apply” button to save your changes.
7. You can also access the “Buttons” tab to customize the left and right click options, as well as the scroll wheel options. Here you can change the number of lines scrolled at a time and the type of scrolling motion (smooth or stepped).
8. Additionally, you can adjust the “Pointer Options” tab to change the size, motion, and other settings related to the pointer.
9. Finally, the “Wheel” tab lets you adjust the scrolling speed and sensitivity of the scroll wheel on your mouse.
10. Once you have made all the changes you wish to make, click the “OK” button in the bottom-right corner to save your changes. Your new mouse settings will then be applied.