Windows Defender Antivirus is a built-in security tool for Windows 10 and other versions of the operating system, designed to protect your computer from malicious programs, infection, and suspicious activity. Windows Defender Antivirus is enabled by default, and runs in the background, scanning for potential threats. If any threats are found, it will alert you and take action to help protect your device.
Enabling Windows Defender Antivirus is easy and straightforward:
1. Launch the Windows Settings application by pressing the Windows key + I on your keyboard.
2. You will see an option in the left sidebar called “Update & Security.” Click on this option.
3. On the right side of this screen, you should see a section called “Windows Defender.” Click on the “Open Windows Defender Security Center” link.
4. On the next page, click on the “Virus & threat protection” section.
5. Under this section, there should be an option to “Turn on virus protection.” Select this option and the Windows Defender Antivirus will be enabled.
Once the feature is enabled, it will run automatically in the background and scan your computer periodically. You can also manually start a scan or customize the type of scan you would like to perform. Windows Defender is continuously updated with new security definitions to ensure that your computer is always protected.
In addition to enabling Windows Defender Antivirus, it is also important to keep all other security software up to date and regularly check that your computer is free of infections. In certain cases, such as when running specialized software or dealing with particularly malicious infections, you may need to use a third-party antivirus. In this case, Windows Defender Antivirus should be disabled, or a conflict could arise between the two programs.
It is also important to keep your operating system and all other software up to date. Microsoft regularly releases security updates for Windows 10 to protect against newly discovered threats. Keeping your computer updated will ensure that you are using the latest version of Windows Defender Antivirus and that your computer is safe from any newly discovered threats.