Resetting a forgotten password in Windows 10 can be done easily by following the steps outlined below. It is important to note that this method is only relevant for accounts that are connected to an active Microsoft account (outlook.com, Hotmail.com, Live.com, etc.).
1. Go to the Windows login screen and type in your username or email associated with the account. When you are prompted to enter your password, click on the ‘I forgot my password’ link next to the box.
2. You will then be taken to a new page where you can choose to either reset your password using your security information (phone number, alternate email address, etc.) or you can use the Get a new password flow to reset it.
3. For the second option, you will need to provide your current password and the Microsoft account associated with the account.
4. Once you have entered these details, you will be prompted to create a new strong password which must include a mix of letters, numbers and special characters. Enter it carefully and confirm it.
5. You will then be asked to view a code sent to you via text message or email. Enter the code and click ‘Verify’.
6. After you verify the code, you will be asked to sign in using your new password. Enter the new password and the account will be logged in.
7. You will then be asked to re-enter the new password to confirm it and then your new password will be activated.
If you have any trouble resetting your forgotten password, you can contact Microsoft support to get help with the process.