The components of a computer may be divided into two main categories: hardware and software.
1. Motherboard: The motherboard is the main circuit board of a computer and is responsible for connecting all the parts of a computer together. It contains the CPU, RAM, ROM, graphics card, sound card, network cards, and expansion slots.
2. Processor (CPU): The processor or Central Processing Unit (CPU) is the brain of a computer and is responsible for carrying out all instructions of a program. The speed of a processor is measured in hertz (MHz).
3. Random Access Memory (RAM): Random Access Memory (RAM) is a type of memory that can be read from or written to quickly and randomly. It is used to store data temporarily while the computer is running.
4. Read-Only Memory (ROM): Read-Only Memory (ROM) is a type of memory that can be read from but can’t be written to. It stores the computer’s boot programs and BIOS.
5. Hard Drive: The hard drive is a device that stores computer data. It is usually rotating magnetic disks or solid-state drives.
6. Optical Drive: An optical drive reads data from optical discs like CDs and DVDs.
7. Video Card (GPU): The video card or Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) is responsible for rendering images on the computer screen.
8.Sound Card: A sound card is used to output sound from a computer.
9. Network Card: A network card is used to connect to a local area network (LAN) or to the internet.
10. Expansion Slots: Expansion slots are used to add additional components to a computer, such as a sound card or video card.
1. Operating System: An operating system is the software that enables a computer to run. Examples of operating systems include Windows, macOS and Linux.
2. Application Software: Application software is software designed to perform specific tasks, such as word processing, web browsing, gaming, etc.
3. Utilities: Utilities are programs designed to maintain and manage a computer, such as antivirus software, defragmenting tools, etc.
4. Drivers: Drivers are programs that allow communication between the computer and hardware components. They are typically provided by the manufacturer of the hardware component.
5. Firmware: Firmware is a type of software that is embedded into a hardware component, such as a BIOS chip.