1. Bitcoin (BTC): First introduced in 2009, Bitcoin is the most popular and widely used cryptocurrency. It was created to be decentralized, secure and anonymous, allowing users to make payments without the need of third-party intermediaries.
2. Ethereum (ETH): Ethereum is an open-source blockchain-based distributed computing platform that provides an environment for smart contracts and decentralized applications (dApps). It was launched in 2015 and has since become the second-largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization.
3. Litecoin (LTC): Launched in 2011 as an alternative to Bitcoin, Litecoin is a decentralized cryptocurrency that enables fast, reliable, and secure payments. It has become one of the most popular cryptocurrencies due to its low transaction fees and faster confirmation times.
4. Ripple (XRP): Ripple is a real-time gross settlement system (RTGS) that provides instant and secure transfer of money across borders. It was created in 2012 and has become the third-largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization.
5. Dash: Dash is a privacy-centric digital currency that focuses on providing users with anonymous transactions. It was launched in 2014 and has become one of the top 10 cryptocurrencies by market capitalization.
6. Monero (XMR): Monero is an open-source, privacy-focused digital currency that was launched in April 2014. It enables transactions to be untraceable and private, providing users with complete anonymity.