Incorrect or improper set up of the scanner can cause poor quality scans. The most common causes are:
1. Poor Adjustments: If the scanner is not adjusted correctly, the scans will have blurry spots and faded colors. The scan settings should be adjusted for the specific item to ensure good quality.
2. Dust and Dirt: If the scanner glass or the original document has dust or dirt on it, the image will be distorted. This can be prevented by regularly cleaning the scanner glass with a lint-free cloth.
3. Wrong Resolution: The scanning resolution should be set at an appropriate level depending on the type of documents to be scanned. If the resolution is too low, the scanned images may appear pixilated.
4. Poor Lighting: Low ambient lighting or artificial lighting that is not suitable for scanning can produce poor quality scans. It is best to scan in well-lit environments to ensure the highest quality scans.
5. Feeder Issues: Incorrect feeder settings can cause the document to get jammed or skew the position of the images. Regularly inspecting and calibrating the feeder will reduce these problems.
6. Driver Issues: Older scanners might require updating the drivers to run correctly. Installing the latest driver version will help prevent issues related to driver incompatibilities.
7. Control Panel Settings: Incorrect settings in the control panel can cause poor scans. Therefore, it is important to check the settings to make sure they are set correctly.
8. Unstable Connections: Poor connections can cause the scanner to lose data or fail to transfer images from the scanner to the computer. This can be prevented by checking the connections and making sure everything is properly plugged in.
9. Old Scanners: Older scanners tend to be less efficient and more prone to problems such as poor scans. Regular maintenance and cleaning of older scanners can improve their performance.
10. Software Issues: Outdated software can cause slow scans and poor quality images. It is important to always keep the scanner’s software up to date to avoid these issues.