1. Satoshi Nakamoto is the pseudonym for the individual or group of individuals who created Bitcoin and developed its original reference implementation as open source software.
2. Satoshi released a whitepaper outlining Bitcoin in 2008, where it was described as “a purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash [that] would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution.”
3. In 2009, the Bitcoin network was launched, with Nakamoto mining the genesis block and thus creating the first Bitcoin.
4. After Nakamoto handed over the reins of the project to developers Gavin Andresen and Hal Finney in 2010, he ceased all contact with the world.
5. His identity remains unknown and is the subject of much speculation.